The Steve Fund is Seeking its First Executive Director
The nation’s only organization focused on supporting the mental health and emotional well-being of college students of color is seeking its first Executive Director.
“The unique mental health needs of students of color are poorly understood, and severely underserved.” The Steve Fund’s mission is to increase the awareness of and develop effective programs and strategies that build understanding and assistance for the mental health and emotional well-being of the nation’s students of color as they enter, matriculate in and transition from higher education. Working in collaboration with colleges and universities, best in class nonprofits, researchers, practitioners, and groups serving diverse populations – the strategic pillars driving the organization are:
- Building knowledge and thought leadership
- Creating programs and strategic partnerships
- Promoting awareness and dialogue
- Producing immediate impact for students through tech innovations
Candidate Profile & Key Attributes
Passionate Leader, Bridge Builder, Executive Presence, Integrative Thinker, High Integrity, Collaboration Mastery, Technology Savvy
Seeking a charismatic, seasoned leader with a deep commitment to promoting the mental health and emotional well-being of young people of color, along with an understanding of the population- specific/unique challenges that students of color face in receiving support for their mental health and emotional well-being. The Executive Director will effectively articulate The Steve Fund’s vision, mission and values that stimulate investment by funders and engagement of practitioners to increase national awareness and promote/facilitate effective programs and strategies that build understanding and assistance. Additionally, The Executive Director will work in close partnership with best-in-class mental health organizations, youth-serving non-profits, and institutions of higher education engaging leaders from across sectors, college students and mental health colleagues. He/She has a notable reputation and commands respect that activates public awareness and support for addressing the mental health needs of young people of color. The Executive Director will be a person who thrives in a start-up environment.
Proven legacy of inspirational leadership and innovation with experience building an organization and advancing its impact, profile and reputation. Deep expertise nurturing productive professional relationships and managing high performing teams (both in-person and virtually).
An individual adept at cultivating and building effective partnerships with organizations and institutions across the country; able to balance and integrate diverse interests and values of stakeholders; experienced in developing a national portfolio of partners with effective coordination of experts across the mental and public health arena. He/She will possess the political and social capital that can be leveraged to advance the Steve Fund’s mission.
The Executive Director will have strong interpersonal skills and experience developing and executing ambitious national strategies; is capable of launching and managing large-scale initiatives with stakeholders and partners across institutions and sectors; and has a successful track record of fundraising for organizations with national reach and of building an organization’s identity and enhancing its profile and reputation.
Ability to constructively balance tensions between opposing variables; navigates ambiguity with proficiency; demonstrates problem solving prowess; and generates creative/collaborative solutions and opportunities.
The ideal candidate possesses empathy, compassion and uncompromising integrity; has the courage and conviction to make difficult decisions; and is authentic, self-aware, and collegial.
The Steve Fund highlights and draws deeply upon the knowledge, experience and perspectives of outstanding leaders in the mental health disciplines. The successful candidate must be able to work extremely effectively with such colleagues.
The ability to leverage tech innovations effectively to serve the needs of the Steve Fund’s target population will be essential. The Executive Director should have the knowledge, relationships and experience to integrate tech partnerships and innovations into the core of the Steve Fund’s work.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Passion for and experience in fields related to mental health, public health, youth development, and social progress, especially involving young people and populations of color, or at organizations and institutions whose work reflects an awareness of the mental health and youth development needs among young people of color
- Excellent written and oral communicator
- Strong history in developing, leading and measuring high impact programs
- Proficiency working with governing boards
- Strong financial acumen and experience managing the operational and legal dimensions of a
- Keen attention to detail with a track record of driving efficiency and effective management of
- Rainmaker/Fundraiser driven to meet/exceed development benchmarks and raise the funds for general operating, programmatic and stretch financial goals
- Essential relationship-building, collaborative, and people management skills
- Generalist with breadth and depth of experience across a range of functions/business areas
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations to diverse audiences
- Advanced degree from a reputable research university, ideally with relevance to public health,
nonprofit management, public administration, and/or mental health fields
- Demonstrated capability to work with and on behalf of young people
- Strong grasp of technology
- Willingness to travel (up to 30% of the time)
- Available to start immediately
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Deadline for applying: November 25, 2016.
Candidates will be evaluated on a rolling basis and early applications are strongly encouraged.Download as pdf