The Steve Fund is the nation’s leading organization focused on promoting the mental health and emotional well-being of young people of color. Through its work impacting hundreds of thousands of students and families throughout the country, it aims to build and elevate systems that will create a more equitable future. The Steve Fund’s people are spirited, determined, intentional and trustworthy experts working with the nation’s leading colleges and universities, nonprofits, researchers, and mental health experts. The Steve Fund’s vision is that every student and young person of color is fully supported by programs, services and institutional cultures that value mental health and well-being.
As it enters its sixth year, the Steve Fund’s reach has expanded dramatically, ushering in a transformational period of growth in funding, organizational capacity and impact. This transition comes at a moment when conversations about racial equity, mental health, well-being and the future of American’s young people of color are at the forefront of our national collective conscience.
The Executive Director opening is an opportunity for an experienced visionary leader with a track record of demonstrable impact who can inspire and drive organizational growth and transformation. This individual will provide the leadership, strategic direction, external visibility, and management expertise for one of the nation’s most needed mental health organizations.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the new Executive Director will lead and manage the Steve Fund’s virtual team. S/he is responsible for fundraising and development, programming, marketing, fiscal and budgetary management, organizational growth and sustainability.
Primary responsibilities include:
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Serve as a thought leader guiding The Steve Fund’s vision and setting its strategic direction.
- Represent the organization externally to stakeholders including: students and families, mental health professionals, higher education and nonprofit leaders, philanthropic partners, program partners, peer organizations and others.
- Work with the Board of Trustees to develop and achieve strategic planning goals and fulfill the Steve Fund’s mission.
- Promote a high-performance culture committed to excellence and continuous improvement.
Fundraising and Development
- Oversee the development, implementation, and success of the organization’s annual fundraising plan.
- Steward long-term, productive, and growing relationships with current funders including foundations, individuals and corporations.
- Leverage external presence and deliver strong relationships to garner new opportunities and cultivate a broader pool of funders.
Marketing and Communications
- Develop and oversee an effective, strategic, multi-pronged communications plan that builds support for and knowledge and visibility of the Steve Fund and its mission among young people of color, media, key influencers, funders, families, educators, non-profit and private sector leaders, and funders
- Maintain, strengthen and develop relationships with program partners, peer organizations, funders and the media.
- Serve as the organization’s primary spokesperson.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger awareness and sterling reputation.
Management and Operations
- Facilitate the ongoing development and management of a highly-skilled professional staff.
- Provide oversight to all financial aspects of the organization, ensuring that sound, efficient financial procedures and accurate reporting systems are in place.
- Report regularly to the Board of Trustees regarding organizational strategies, objectives, achievements and challenges.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state nonprofit governance, requirements and regulations.
The Executive Director should have the following qualifications and characteristics:
- At least seven years of outstanding executive and senior management experience.
- Commensurate professional recognition and long-standing professional relationships.
- An undergraduate degree and a graduate degree is preferred.
- Critical interest in the mission, programming and approach of the Steve Fund with a deep commitment to racial equity.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead fundraising strategy with a track record of attracting and growing philanthropic support from foundations, corporations and individuals.
- Excellent, persuasive communication skills with the ability to serve as the lead spokesperson and ambassador to build awareness of the Steve Fund’s work and impact.
- Strong management experience with a demonstrated track record running a complex organization with multiple stakeholders and managing a diverse, geographically-dispersed staff.
- Demonstrated facility with analyzing and employing data to drive innovation and growth.
- Demonstrated contributions to thought leadership
- Superior references
- An inclusive leadership style that seeks out and values diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- A supportive, emotionally intelligent leader with excellent interpersonal skills who fosters internal trust.
- A collaborative management style that motivates staff, provides clear and consistent direction and fosters accountability.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, energetic, collaborative and proactive, a team leader who can productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives.
Applications and nominations can be sent to SFEDSearch@stevefund.org. Please forward a letter of interest, resume, and five professional references. Review of materials will begin immediately. For confidential inquiries, nominations, or questions please call 202.276.2983.
The Steve Fund is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, disability or any other classification protected by federal, or applicable state or local law.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]