The Steve Fund is the nation’s leading organization focused on promoting the mental health and emotional well-being of young people of color. Through its work impacting thousands of students and families throughout the country, it aims to build and elevate systems that will create a more equitable future. The Steve Fund’s people are experts working with the nation’s leading colleges and universities, nonprofits, researchers, corporations, and mental health experts. The Steve Fund’s vision is that every student and young person of color is fully supported by programs, services and institutional cultures that value mental health and well-being.
In its seventh year, the Steve Fund’s reach is poised to expand dramatically, ushering in a transformational period of growth in funding, organizational capacity and impact. This transition comes at a moment when conversations about racial equity, mental health, well-being and the promise of America’s young people of color are at the forefront of our nation’s collective conscience. We have the potential to positively impact the lives of millions of young people of color in higher education and their early years in the workforce, and we see a digital-first strategy as the primary pathway to reach this scale.
The Steve Fund is a virtual organization, with remote employees based throughout the United States. This position reports to the Executive Director.
The Digital Transformation Product Manager (DTPM) will be a valued member of the full-time team who will be asked to partner with fellow team members to create a digital transformation product vision in line with the organizational goals and then drive that digital transformation with best-in-class digital products that will expand the impact and reach of the Steve Fund to reach millions of youth of color. This individual will provide foundational ideas that may become features, strategic direction and technical expertise for one of the nation’s most needed mental health organizations.
A key trait we are looking for in a candidate is the ability to convey complex technical ideas and concepts to stakeholders without a technical background. Beyond that, it will be key to be able to interpret business requirements into actionable and prioritized to-dos, and be able to keep both the product vision as well as the implementation considerations in mind.
- You will advise on the Steve Fund’s digital transformation, leveraging analytical and technical skills to guide the Steve Fund as it transitions into becoming a digital-first organization, including developing business transformation vision, value roadmap, and high-level target solution designs
- Assume complete responsibility over the digital transformation project management and ensure that any contractors/digital services firm(s) the Steve Fund contracts with create plans that match organizational goals and timelines, and are aligned with industry standards.
- You will be the source of truth for our team, the person that understands both high-level needs and priorities as well as the minute details that are required as we create digital products.
- You will be empowered to own the process and associated meetings, ceremonies, and documentation involved as a product manager on an agile project – high-level feature prioritization, backlog grooming, sprint planning, conduct product demos to confirm functionality or instigate feedback, and when needed organize working sessions with the Steve Fund stakeholders and/or internal team members to clarify and define requirements.
- Iterate and update requirements as required throughout the course of the product development cycle, keeping the organization’s leadership up to date as decisions are made, priorities are shifted, and user needs are clarified.
- Advise on new technologies recommended by firms and peer organizations, ensuring that the Steve Fund invests in technologies that align with the organization’s business strategy, needs, and organizational capacity.
- Develop and document internal digital policies, practices and procedures which will allow for understanding and quick adoption of best digital practices by the Steve Fund.
- Build and maintain effective and collaborative relationships with a diverse range of staff, technical and non-technical — with a particular focus on building strong credibility and relationships at the Director and board-level of the organization to secure ongoing buy-in for the DT initiative.
- Deep experience in Technical Program Management or Product Management
- Demonstrated track record of uniting cross-functional teams to deliver large scale digital products to market
- Able to align the “big idea” vision and the specific details together, and consistently vet one against the other – produce a concept, then immediately find weaknesses / assess feasibility
- Able to present to senior management level audiences, – both internal and external, with varying levels of technical understanding
- Understanding and practice of the fundamentals of agile and scrum-oriented product processes that guide iterative software development
- Current holder of or are interested in pursuing training to become a Certified Product Owner (scrum)
- Bonus: Track record of working with and making the business case for technology/technical solutions to the executives, decision makers, and stakeholders of nonprofits
- Bonus: MBA, Master’s Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
Applications (resume and cover letter) and nominations can be sent to Lana Johnson, email@example.com.
The Steve Fund’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in all of our content. Diversity is more than a commitment at The Steve Fund —it is the foundation of what we do.
The Steve Fund is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, disability or any other classification protected by federal, or applicable state or local law.
Salary range: $120,000-$150,000 on an annual basis
Benefits provided, including monthly data/business expense stipend, employer contributions towards a retirement plan, and paid time off.