Lift Every Voice: A Call to Action to
Promote the Mental Health of the Black Family
You can view the Lift Every Voice Town Hall here
NAMI/Steve Fund Virtual Town Hall Resources
The Steve Fund Resouces
- Young Gifted & Well Family Webinars focused on supporting young people of color and their families.
- Lift Every Voice Infographic – Click Here to Download
References Lift Every Voice Infographic
American Psychiatric Association. Mental Health Facts for African Americans. 2017
Bor, J., et al. Police killings and their spillover effects on the mental health of black Americans: a population-based, quasi-experimental study. The Lancet. July 28, 2018; 392(10144), 302-310. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)31130-9
The Commonwealth Fund. Beyond the Case Count: The Wide-Ranging Disparities of COVID-19 in the United States. Issue briefs, September 10, 2020.
Cook, B.L., et al. Assessing Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Treatment across Episodes of Mental Health Care. Health Serv Res. 2014 Feb; 49(1): 206–229. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12095
Fowers, A. and Wan, W. Depression and Anxiety Spiked Among Black Americans After George Floyd’s Death. Washington Post, June 12, 2021.
Maura, J and de Mamani, A.W. Mental Health Disparities, Treatment Engagement, and Attrition
Among Racial/Ethnic Minorities with Severe Mental Illness: A Review. Clin Psychol Med Settings. Dec. 2017;24(3-4):187-210. doi: 10.1007/s10880-017-9510-2
Schwartz, R.C. and Blankenship, D.M. Racial disparities in psychotic disorder diagnosis: A review of empirical literature. World J Psychiatry. Dec. 22, 2014; 4(4): 133–140. doi: 10.5498/wjp.v4.i4.133
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, Detailed Tables. September 11, 2020
- The Congressional Black Caucus: Emergency Task Force on Black Youth Suicide & Mental Health. Chair, Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman Taskforce on Black Youth Suicide and Mental Health | U.S. Representative Bonnie Watson Coleman (house.gov)
- Dr. Napoleon Higgins: Global Health Psychiatry – A Mindset. A Mission. A Movement. (ghpsychiatry.org)
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Resources
- NAMI Sharing Hope website
- Identity and Cultural Dimensions
- NAMI Sharing Hope YouTube Playlist
- NAMI African American/Black Playlist
Other Helpful Resouces
- National Queer & Trans Therapists of Color Network
- The Boris L. Henson Foundation
- Community Healing Network: Tool Kit: Healing in the Face of Cultural Trauma. Click here to download.
Are you a young person of color? Feeling down, stressed or overwhelmed? Text STEVE to 741741 and a live, trained Crisis Counselor will receive the text and respond to you quickly to provide support. The volunteer Crisis Counselor will help you move from a hot moment to a cool moment. Share this resource and learn more.